Trinity Baptist Church was founded in 1929. At the time a lot of new council houses were being built in the area and many couples with young families were relocating to these houses. The area became known as the ‘White City’ as the houses were all painted white.
The work began with a vision for evangelising children by Mrs Amy Rea, and a Sunday School was started in a local garage initially. The numbers of children attending grew quickly, and there were also many adults interested in starting to meet as a local Church. Within a year a building was erected on the site where the church still meets today. Shortly afterwards the church was officially constituted and the first pastor called.
With the passing of years and the relocation of families, the members are now drawn from a much wider area of Gloucester, but the church has maintained a strong local witness and evangelistic thrust particularly through its work with children and young people.
An emphasis was placed on preaching from the very outset. In the early years a retired pastor from Cheltenham and Trinity’s student pastor conducted most of the services. Since 1932 only 4 men have served as pastors. Pastor Harold Ball from 1932 – 1954; Pastor Douglas Jones from 1954 – 1983; Pastor Alex MacDougall from 1983 – 2007; and Pastor Phil Jones since 2009.